Ann M. Ciesielka
< Back to My Blog
August 21, 2015 1:00 am
(Family Features) Mold in your home is a serious matter that can cause not only substantial property damage, but also significant harm to your health. Mold can vary, but often, it has a white to greenish or black spotty appearance. You may also notice a damp, musty odor in areas where mold is growing.
If you cannot see or smell any signs of mold, you can do some additional investigating with a DIY testing kit. A test kit will detect mold spores accumulating in household dust, including the types most associated with water damage and health issues.
Depending on the degree and type of mold you discover, you may be able to clean it up and eradicate the problem yourself. If the growth is extensive, you will require the assistance of trained professionals to locate, remove and prevent further spread of the mold contamination. Once the mold has been safely removed, you can take some steps to prevent chances of a reoccurrence, such as:
• Making sure the filter you are using is correctly rated for your HVAC system. A filter that is too restrictive for your air blower may overstress and burn out the motor
• Monitoring humidity with a meter. A humidity level more than 65 percent invites mold growth. An inexpensive electronic humidity meter can monitor your rooms and identify areas that need better ventilation or dehumidification
• Having a professional check for high humidity in an attic or crawl space
• Venting appliances properly and installing exhaust fans in rooms that see high levels of moisture, such as bathrooms, laundry rooms and kitchens
• Identifying any sources of moisture or leaks throughout the home, including faucets and around windows and doors, and take steps to correct them
Source: Healthful Home
Published with permission from RISMedia.
Copyright© 2018 by eWebEngine - A Division of Lone Wolf Real Estate Technologies
|Each RE/MAX office is independently owned and operated |
RE/MAX 440, PA